The city (Parks & Rec and Boone County Public Health and Human Services) has planned more than a dozen activities to encourage Columbians to bike, walk and wheel around town. Learn how to commute sans car, and get lots of free food, shirts, and stuff along the way.
- Bicyclists ride city buses for free. Bikes must be loaded onto racks on the front of buses (if this sounds complicated, don’t worry, drivers will assist first-time users).
- Check out the city’s Bike-N-Bus brochure here.
Monday, May 14:
- Walking Public Art Tour, 6:00 p.m., Flat Branch Park
Tuesday, May 15:
- Secret Access Trail Ride, 6:00 p.m., Flat Branch Park
- A 15-mile ride along the MKT and County House trails.
- Helmets and water are required.
Wednesday, May 16:
- Brown Bag Lunch Sessions: I Would Bike/Walk to Work, But…, 12:00 p.m., Walton Building
- Family Fun Fest, 6:00 p.m., Flat Branch Park
Thursday, May 17:
- Try Transit Day. Ride city buses for free all day
- Schedule and routes are available here.
- Walk the Course, 7:00 p.m., L.A. Nickell & Lake of the Woods golf courses
- Receive a $3 discount if you walk instead of ride between holes.
- Bike Shop Workshop, 6:30-7:45 p.m., Walt’s
Friday, May 18:
- Breakfast Station Day, 7:00-9:00 a.m.
- Cyclists and pedestrians can enjoy free breakfast at five locations around town.
- Locations: MKT Forum trailhead, the ARC, Lion-Stephens Park, Flat Branch Park and Fire Station 9.
Saturday, May 19:
- Trails Day, 9:00 a.m., MLK Jr. Memorial on the MKT
- Run or walk a 5K, or bike a 10K to celebrate Columbia’s trails.
- Participants receive a free T-shirt.
- No registration required.
- Wheelchair Wash and Roll, 12:00-4:00 p.m., Stephens Lake Park
- Roll around the park, enjoy free wheelchair detailing and snacks.